You might have experienced a time when you ran out of the best dog toothpaste at home, and it’s time for oral care for your furry pets. You ran out to the local pet stores only to find out all dog toothpastes are out of stock. Not a single toothpaste for your dog in sight. There are no dental chews, as well. No other alternatives. Nil! If it ever came to that point, maybe you also have wondered if you can make homemade dog toothpaste and how does one does it.
The answer is here. We provide a step-by-step guide to making homemade dog toothpaste. Learn how to make it here.
Homemade Dog Toothpaste Recipes
We have compiled easy and simple homemade dog toothpaste recipes for every dog owner to know. Next time you ran out of stocks of dog toothpaste, there is no need to worry.
These simple recipes have the most basic ingredients you can always find in your kitchen. No-fuss making them too!
This dog toothpaste recipe is, as its name suggests, simple to do and comes in a mint flavor. It’s so simple that even the ingredients are easy to find, as you may already have it in your kitchen.
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 cube of chicken or beef bullion
- 3 tbsp. baking soda
- 6-7 mint leaves
- In a blender, put all the ingredients and blend until fully mixed and even in color.
- Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Keep refrigerated and consume within two weeks.
Easy Dog Toothpaste
- 1 bouillon cube (beef, chicken, or any other your dog loves)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional, although it gives a smell)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve the bouillon cube in one tablespoon of water.
- Once dissolved, add the baking soda and cinnamon then mix well.
- Add the coconut oil to the mixture and mix until well blended. Store in an airtight container.
- 1/2 cup virgin coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon kelp
- A pinch of dried parsley, flaked
- Soften the coconut oil if it solidifies by submerging its container in a bowl with hot water.
- Once it is soft, transfer it to a bowl and add all the ingredients. Mix well.
- Transfer in a container and refrigerate.
Organic Dog Toothpaste
- 3 tablespoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Half a cube of beef bouillon (or vegetable for a vegan version)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried or fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon water
- In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients and blend well.
- Add more water to make a paste, if needed.
- Transfer in an airtight container and store.
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Mix the two ingredients together to make a paste.
- Store in an airtight container and use moderately.
DIY Dog Toothpaste
Baking soda in these recipes acts as an abrasive to remove tartar in our pet’s teeth. It also neutralizes odor, keeping your dog’s mouth smelling clean.
Coconut oil in these recipes acts to bring together the ingredients and turns it into a paste.
However, baking soda and coconut oil in excess are not good for your dogs. It might cause diarrhea, upset stomach, and other ailments. Thus, it is strongly advised to use only a pea-sized amount every tooth brushing.
Never ever use oral health products for human use on your dogs. Human toothpaste contains ingredients that are harmful to our dogs.
Finally, it is best if you pay a visit to your vet for your doggy’s dental check-ups.
Dogschool.com does not guarantee the safety of using these homemade dog toothpaste on each and every dog.
When it comes to our beloved pets, it is always safe to act on the side of caution.
As the saying goes, “Better safe than sorry”. Hence, please double-check with your veterinarian before making any of these homemade dog toothpaste and prior to using them on your furry friends.