Easily wash pesky fleas and ticks away from your dogs with the best flea shampoo.
No matter how cautious you are in ensuring your dog does not get any fleas, there is always the possibility that your dog has them.
We understand the problems of every pet parent. Hence, we have listed here the best flea dog shampoos that would keep your furry companions flea-free!
AT A GLANCE (SEE ON AMAZON):
5 Best Flea Shampoos
Our pet experts have researched the many available shampoos for fleas on the market and came up with a list of the best here.
Check out these 5 best shampoos to ward off fleas on your furry friends!
- KILLS ADULT FLEAS & FLEA EGGS - Provides flea treatment, killing adult fleas and flea eggs on your dog or cat to prevent reinfestation.
- KILLS TICKS - Adams Plus Flea & Tick Shampoo With Precor kills ticks on contact.
- KILLS LICE - Lice travel on pets, too, and Adams Plus Flea & Tick Shampoo With Precor kills lice on contact.
- ADVANCED STRENGTH - 2X flea killing effectiveness. Kills fleas, flea larva, flea eggs, and ticks on contact and cleans and deodorizes your dog’s coat.
- SAFE & EFFECTIVE -Each active essential oil is 100% certified natural for an effective solution you can trust.
- CLEANS AND CONTROLS: SENTRY oatmeal shampoo cleans, deodorizes and conditions your dog's coat, and is also pH balanced. It can be used on dogs and puppies 12 weeks of age and over.
- IDEAL FOR DOGS: This rich, conditioning formula with oatmeal kills pests that can harm your pet. Ideal for dogs with sensitive skin. Not recommended for use on cats or kittens.
- Long-Lasting Pest Protection — Maximum Strength Shampoo helps kill fleas, ticks, larva, and eggs by contact and repels fleas for up to 7 days.
- Light Fresh Scent — Clove, lemongrass, cedarwood, and cinnamon oils act as powerful pest repellents and leave a pleasant citrus aroma.
- Triple active shampoo kills fleas, flea eggs and brown dog ticks plus prevents re-infestation for up to 4 weeks
- Includes one, 18 fluid ounce bottle
- Conditions and restores shine
- Can be used weekly for preventative treatment, while cleaning and deodorizing
In addition to any of these, here are some ways to help get rid of fleas!
What to Look for in a Flea Shampoo for Dogs
Choosing the best dog flea shampoo may be quite a challenge with the many choices in the market. While every dog’s needs vary, there are several common factors we have to consider in choosing one for our pets.
Some sensitive dogs suffer from allergic reactions to some chemicals. While most dog flea shampoos nowadays contain natural and organic ingredients, there are still a few which incorporate harsh chemicals.
Be wary of dog shampoos with strong artificial scents as, most likely, they contain ingredients that can harm your pet’s skin or damage your dog’s fur.
Rather, choose one with all-natural ingredients. If you want one that smells good, there are some shampoos specially formulated with essential oils that bring out a pleasant scent. Some of these active ingredients that make your furry friend smelling clean are peppermint oil, clove oil, cinnamon oil, tea tree oil, rosemary oil, and coconut extract.
Besides keeping your canned companion smelling good, you are sure that your dog is far from experiencing any allergic reactions. What’s more, these natural essential oils soothe irritated skin, improve your dog’s coat and repel fleas and ticks.
Depending on what you target to address, choose a shampoo for dogs that would provide you the benefits. Some shampoo for dogs targets ticks only. These tick shampoos control ticks but may not kill fleas. In the same manner, a flea shampoo kills fleas but may not be effective in getting off ticks.
There is also an advanced strength shampoo that provides immediate relief by killing fleas and ticks off your dog’s body but may not stop further infestation.
The best dog flea shampoos are those that not only kills adult fleas and ticks but also get rid of flea larvae and flea eggs and prevent further flea infestations.
When you have puppies, it is best to choose a shampoo that works on puppies too. Then, you would be hitting two birds with one stone with any of the best flea shampoos.
Check the label of any dog products to ensure that it does not contain harsh ingredients that may cause dry and flaky skin, itchy skin, and other skin infections.
Check with your Vet
As per parents, we only want the best for our canine companions. And the best way to ensure that they get the best of the doggy world is by visiting the vet regularly.
Consult a veterinarian before using any dog products to ensure safety.
Fleas and ticks are pesky insects, causing our dogs problems that can develop into something more we can easily control. When our pets have sensitive skin, flea bites can cause itchiness and irritated skin. This, in turn, can further lead to skin infections.
Spot-on flea treatments may help alleviate the discomfort of insect bites on your dog’s skin for a while but would not kill fleas and prevent them from reproducing. But this solution may not be the best depending on how far the infestation is. Hence, it is always to your advantage to visit the vet.
Looking for home remedies to combat fleas on your dogs? Check out our post here on products you may have at home that can help keep your dog flea-free!