Is your dog always scratching, licking, and even chewing himself? He might be suffering from allergies. It’s so frustrating watching your dog suffer from uncomfortable symptoms. While there are many treatments available, one solution is dog supplements and vitamins for skin allergies.
Skin allergy is one of the common problems among dogs. While some dog breeds may be more prone than others, all dogs are susceptible to them. There are many causes of this condition, and identifying the exact cause can be difficult. cause.
In this blog post, we share with you the causes of dog allergies, how to recognize symptoms, treatments available, and a list of vitamins that may help your pup feel better!
AT A GLANCE (SEE ON AMAZON):
- Best Overall: Vet's Best Healthy Coat Dog Supplements
- Runner Up: GREENIES Skin & Coat Food Supplements
- Also Great: Finn Allergy & Itch + Skin & Coat Bundle
- Also Great: PetLab Co. Dog Allergy Chews
- Also Great: JustFoodForDogs Skin & Allergy Care Supplements
Causes of Allergies in Dogs
When your dog scratches all the time, he may be suffering from a skin allergy or other skin problems.
Skin allergy is a bother for dogs. Identifying the proper treatment can be difficult for dog owners, as the allergies may be triggered by one of the many causes. But immediate treatment is necessary.
Left unattended, skin allergies can cause your dog to scratch, lick, or bite himself excessively. These can lead to skin inflammation, wounds, and blisters, which, in turn, may result in infections.
One of the common causes of allergies in dogs is food and diet. Some dogs are more prone to certain ingredients in their foods. Food allergies are more commonly triggered by a few carbohydrate-rich foods such as grains and wheat. Some protein sources such as beef, chicken, pork, eggs, and dairy can also trigger a food allergy.
If you notice your dog scratching or licking and suffering from itchy skin after a change of diet, it might be a sign that he is allergic to his current dog food. Identify what your dog is allergic to and eliminate that from your dog’s diet. It would surely help him overcome his allergy and help him have healthy skin and coat. Better yet, pay a visit to the veterinarian for a proper recommendation on a special diet to alleviate the situation.
Our dogs may also be itching due to the presence of ticks, mites, and fleas. Dogs can suffer from flea allergy dermatitis as a reaction to the bite and saliva of fleas.
When your notice signs that your dog has fleas, most likely, he will be suffering from extreme itchiness. Regular flea prevention should be undertaken.
Seasonal and Environmental Allergies
The root cause of seasonal and environmental allergies is an element of the environment. Allergy triggers from the environment, like dust, grass, and pollen, cause itching and allergies in dogs.
There is also what is known as contact allergies, which is a reaction when certain things come in contact with dog skin. Examples of these include plants and household products.
Stay away from and prevent exposure to environmental allergens. When your dog is allergic to grass, take him to a dog park where there is lesser grass around. If you suspect that dust is the source of your dog’s allergy, you could also opt to have him fully dressed up when going outside to prevent dust from getting into contact with your dog’s skin. Also, always keep the house clean from dust. When your dog is sensitive to pollen, do not allow him to play in fields where flowers are in bloom.
Other Signs and Symptoms
There are a variety of symptoms and signs indicating your pup is suffering from an allergy. Some of these signs are ear infections, excessive paw licking, scratching, facial swelling, and inflammation, sneezing, watery eyes, and skin infections.
When your dog has an allergy, he begins scratching himself most of the time. This may cause skin abrasions or blisters, which, in turn, can be infected, making matters worse.
Supplements and vitamins can help your dog have healthy skin and coats and can aid in alleviating allergy symptoms. Still, as with all other dog health problems, it is always best to consult with your veterinarian to determine the underlying cause and the appropriate treatment. With proper care and attention, you can help your dog manage their skin allergies and live a comfortable, happy life.
Vitamins for Dogs with Skin Allergies
To combat allergy to the skin in your dogs, a good vitamin needs to contain the essential nutrients, vitamins, and minerals. Make sure that you choose a pet vitamin or supplement that contains the following:
Fish oil and essential fatty acids
Fish oil has been found to provide the essential fatty acids that relieve allergies. Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids reduce reactions to environmental allergens and other common triggers. These fatty acids have also been recognized as effective in treating skin disorders caused by excessive excretion of sebum on the skin.
It provides Omega-3 fatty acids to minimize itching and inflammation.
However, too much of something is not always good. The same goes for fish oil. Giving your dogs too much of this may have adverse effects. As always, it is best to ask your vet before giving your furry friend some supplements.
Also, veterinarians recommend supplements that are rich in Vitamin A, B-Complex, Vitamin C, etc. These vitamins are good for the skin, and the immune system improves skin conditions and coat health too.
Vitamin A keeps your dog’s eyes healthy but is also an immune system support and provides relief from itchy skin.
Vitamin B-Complex aid in metabolism, development and repair of tissues and supports the nervous system.
Vitamin C benefits your dog by providing relief from allergy symptoms like sneezing and runny nose and boosts the immune system too.
Vitamin E protects cells from free radicals and aids in the functions of the immune system. It also promotes healing and better skin health.
Fruits and vegetables are rich in beta-carotene. One of the health benefits of beta-carotene that can alleviate your dog’s itchy skin problem is that it promotes better skin and coat health. It also has anti-inflammatory benefits.
When choosing your dog’s supplements, it is best to choose one that contains these vitamins and minerals. Also, always check that your dog’s food contains healthy ingredients like these too.
These essential nutrients promote overall health with no side effects. to get away from more problems that our dogs might experience.
Best Dog Vitamins for Skin Allergies
Finding the product to help your dog who is suffering from skin allergies seems to be a tremendous task for every dog owner. We just made this easier for you.
We prepared a list here of the best dog supplements and vitamins to combat skin allergies.
Our Top Pick
Vet’s Best Healthy Coat Shed & Itch Relief Dog Supplements
- RELIEF FOR ITCHING AND SHEDDING- Vet's Best Healthy Coat Shed & Itch Relief Dog Supplements will help your dog maintain a healthy coat and normal levels of shedding
- BALANCED REMEDY- Veterinarian formulated as a tasty chewable tablet
- NATURAL ALTERNATIVE- Support comes from a combination of quality natural ingredients such as MSM, yellow dock root, quercetin, and omega fatty acids
- APPROVED- Each bottle carries the National Animal Supplement Council (NASC) Seal of Approval
GREENIES Skin & Coat Food Supplements
- SUPPORTS HEALTHY SKIN & SHINY COAT: GREENIES Skin and Coat Supplements are designed to support healthy skin and maintain a healthy and shiny coat for adult and senior dogs
- FORMULATED WITH FISH OIL: Naturally rich in the Omega-3 fatty acids, DHA and EPA, to provide nourishment for your dog’s skin & coat
- FORMULATED BY Ph.D. ANIMAL NUTRITIONISTS: A team of Ph.D. Animal Nutritionists developed a supplement your dog will love
- MADE WITH REAL CHICKEN: We combined high-quality ingredients into irresistible soft chews made with chicken to make it easy to feed
Finn Allergy & Itch + Skin & Coat Bundle
- Allergy & Itch: Formulated to support seasonal allergies and skin health while giving your best bud's immune system a boost.
- owered by Bee Propolis: With 300+ beneficial compounds & antioxidants including Quercetin, Zinc, and Vitamin C.
- Skin & Coat Supplement: Formulated to specifically support healthy skin and a thick, glossy coat.
- Packed with premium fish oil from Wild Caught Alaskan Salmon and healthy Omega-3s including DHA and EPA.
PetLab Co. Dog Allergy Chews
- Tailored for your pup – Your dog’s weight has a huge impact on their individual needs. So, we have created these incredible daily chews for medium-sized dogs
- Seasonal Allergies – Help keep your pup’s gut balanced with our allergy supporting probiotic dog chews. And deal with their seasonal allergy related skin and coat issues
- Yeast Support – Is your dog paw licking, biting, or has smelly ears? Your priority should be to support healthy yeast production - something these chews will help you with in no time at all
- Premium Products - Our dog health supplies are exclusively manufactured in by experts in the USA using only the best ingredients sourced from around the world
JustFoodForDogs Skin & Allergy Care Supplements
- LEAVES DOGS FEELING HAPPIER & HEALTHIER - The active ingredient Oleuropein is found to have anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal properties which protect your pets. This daily dog supplement also boosts the beneficial effects on metabolism,...
- NATURALLY BOOSTS THE IMMUNE SYSTEM - A strong and healthy immune system boosts the body's natural defenses that keep your dog feeling healthy. Reduces the painful symptoms of itching, scratching, & hot spots from the occurrence of allergic...
- VETERINARIAN DEVELOPED & APPROVED - Custom formula designed by our team of veterinarians and reviewed by our board certified veterinary toxicologist. Our special blend contains immune-boosting ingredients that promote a healthy response to food,...
- HIGH-GRADE HUMAN QUALITY SUPPLEMENTS - Produced in facilities that are FDA registered and inspected with all products manufactured under GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice) guidelines. Skin & Allergy Care is made from 100% human-grade ingredients.
Dogs are man’s best friends. As a responsible pet owner, you only want the best for your dogs to keep them healthy and happy. Remember that vitamins and supplements can never replace a balanced diet and regular exercise!
While managing health conditions like skin allergies in your dog is no small task, with the right combination of diet and lifestyle changes, as well as dog supplements and vitamins, you can keep your dog safe and healthy.
Always check out every piece of information on dog products. Take note that not all items are the same. Find out what is best for your dogs and what would help them the most.
Consult your vet for the best advice on what could be better for your dogs to prevent more complications.