Do you have a Siberian Husky at home and would just want to give your furry friend the best of all things? Are you looking for the best dog food for huskies that would provide your dog with what his body needs?
Here at dogschool.com, we understand that as husky owners, you only want the best for your husky puppy. Choosing the best dog food for our dog can be challenging.
We make things easier for you. Our pet experts have researched the best food for huskies.
AT A GLANCE (SEE ON AMAZON):
- Our Top Pick: High Protein Dog Food by Purina Pro Plan Store
- Runner Up: Wag Dry Dog Food by the WAG Store
- Also Great: Grain Free Dog Food Recipe by the Merrick Store
- Also Great: Grain Free Adult Dry Dog Food by the CRAVE Store
- Also Great: Large Breed Dog Food by the Hill's Science Diet Store
Things to Consider When Choosing the Best Dog Food for Huskies
A Siberian Huskies is a generally healthy dog breed. However, their nutritional requirement may vary based on their level of activity, age, and specific dietary needs.
When selecting the best dog food for your huskies, it is essential to consider the recommendation of your veterinarian.
The nutritional requirements of Siberian Huskies are not the same as the nutritional needs of other dog breeds.
Huskies are known as strong and active dog breeds, so it’s essential to provide them with the right nutrition to help them reach their full potential. As active dogs, Siberian Huskies need a diet that would provide them with complete nutrition yet maintain a healthy weight.
Huskies are large-breed dogs that need lots of protein to stay healthy. They need a diet that has high protein sources and is low in fat. Naturally-sourced proteins should make up the majority of a husky’s diet.
Dog food that has natural protein sources would best provide your huskies with their nutritional needs. Dog food with natural ingredients such as poultry meat, fish, and vegetables would be great options. Stay away from dog foods with artificial flavors and colors, as well as those with additives and preservatives.
Provide an adult husky dog with high-quality dog food containing at least 18% protein content. For husky puppies, at least 22% protein content should make up their diet, which is vital for muscle development and overall growth.
Dietary fats are also necessary to keep active huskies healthy. These essential fats provide your dogs with energy. They also aid in the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins.
Essential fatty acids also aid in skin and coat health, joint support, and cognitive development. Huskies are double-coated and active dogs, hence, need more of these fatty acids than other dog breeds.
Among the essential fatty acids, omega fatty acids. such as Omega-3 and Omega-6. are most beneficial for huskies to promote healthy skin. These fatty acids are abundant in flax seeds, salmon, and fish oil.
Carbohydrates provide huskies with energy and regulate blood sugar levels. They also aid in better digestion.
Good carbohydrate sources are brown rice, peas, and sweet potatoes. Other great sources of carbohydrates and fiber are fruits and vegetables such as carrots, pumpkins, apples, and berries.
Vitamins and Minerals
Provide your husky dog with high-quality dog food that is rich in vitamins and minerals to keep your pup healthy. Vitamins and minerals provide your dogs with energy, support their immune system, and keep them healthy.
Vitamins that can greatly benefit a husky are vitamins A, B-complex, D, E, and K. Calcium, iron, zinc, and magnesium are among the minerals that would help in your dog’s growth and overall development.
Your pup’s age is also one consideration for choosing the right dog food. As a dog ages, its nutritional needs change.
A husky puppy needs more protein to support his growth and development. Adult huskies would need a little less protein and a little more carbohydrates and fiber. And senior huskies should be fed a high-fiber diet to support their aging bodies.
So, depending on your dog’s age, you may need to adjust or change his dog food from time to time.
Another factor that can also affect your process of choosing the appropriate dog food for your Siberian Husky is your dog’s activity level. Dogs who are highly active undertake more strenuous activity would need more sources of energy in their diet as compared to dogs who are less active.
For example, dogs that engage in agility and lure coursing training will need to consume a well-balanced diet that is high in protein, calories, and carbohydrates to sustain their body’s needs and fuel their energy.
On the other hand, dogs that stay indoors most of the time and are less active should be fed a low-calorie diet to prevent them from gaining weight and becoming obese.
Overall Health Condition
Finally, your husky’s overall health condition should also be taken into account in choosing the right dog food for him. Dogs with specific health conditions or medical issues may require special diets that are appropriate for them.
Some dogs have sensitive skin and easily suffer from food allergies. Generally, dogs that suffer from skin sensitivity and skin allergies are better when they are given grain-free dog food.
Always remember that when it comes to your dog’s diet, your veterinarian would know better. It is best to consult with your veterinarian, especially when your dog has medical conditions or health issues. Your veterinarian would be the best person to determine the best dog food for your Siberian Huskies that could promote their well-being.
What Are The Best Dog Foods For Huskies?
If you are looking for the best dog food for huskies, here are the dog foods that we recommend.
These are sure to satisfy your dog’s nutritional needs based on research done by our pet experts.
Our Top Pick
High Protein Dog Food by Purina Pro Plan Store
- Hard kibble combined with tender, shredded pieces for taste and texture dogs love
- High protein formula, with real beef as the first ingredient
- Fortified with guaranteed live probiotics to support digestive and immune health
- Used to be known as SAVOR Shredded Blend Beef and Rice Formula
Amazon Brand – Wag Dry Dog Food by the WAG Store
- Sustainably raised salmon is the #1 ingredient; protein helps keep your dog at his bounding best
- No added salmon by-product meal, corn, wheat, soy, artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives
- Packaging is transitioning and may vary from picture
- Added calcium and phosphorus for bones and teeth; support for bones and joints with guaranteed glucosamine; added antioxidants to support immune system; added DHA for brain function
Real Chicken and Sweet Potato Grain Free Dry Dog Food Recipe by the Merrick Store
- Merrick Premium Grain Free Dry Dog Food, Real Chicken And Sweet Potato Recipe. Wholesome And Natural With Added Vitamins And Minerals Kibble For Adult Dogs
- Real deboned chicken is always the first ingredient in this premium grain free kibble, made with real food ingredients to deliver balanced nutrition for adult dogs
- Chicken dog food features a holistic blend of 57% protein and healthy fat ingredients to maintain lean muscle mass and energy levels, with 43% produce, fiber, vitamins, minerals, and other natural ingredients
- Merrick dog food delivers 81% of protein from animal sources, providing high protein levels, and contains no artificial colors, flavors or preservatives
Grain Free Adult Dry Dog Food with Protein from Beef by the CRAVE Store
- Contains one (1) 4 lb. bag of CRAVE Grain Free Adult Dry Dog Food with Protein from Beef—for any size dog
- CRAVE recipes are always crafted with real, high-quality animal protein, no grain, and the full meaty flavor that dogs go wild for
- Made with 34% high protein, to support a strong, lean body
- Grain free with carbohydrate sources like peas for energy
Large Breed Dry Dog Food by the Hill’s Science Diet Store
- A dry dog food specially formulated to fuel the energy needs of large breed adult dogs
- Supports your grown dog's joint health with natural sources of glucosamine & chondroitin
- Maintain your senior dog's healthy skin and shiny coat with nourishing omega-6 fatty acids & vitamin E
- Promotes lean muscle in large dogs with high-quality protein
Food For Health
The best dog food for your husky must satisfy its nutritional requirements for a longer and healthier life.
With these selections, you can easily find the best dog food for your huskies. These will definitely tease their palate and satisfy their nutritional requirements.
Of course, don’t forget to get them to drink lots of water, too!